You put de lime in de coconut, you drank ’em both up.
I think it’s pretty obvious that I’m a soap maker, but what’s not obvious is I’m obsessive about it.
Seriously. I spend hours browsing all of the different supply websites on the lookout for new ingredients to try. And most of that time, I’m trying to decide between at least 10 different fragrances that I simply must have right then.
The fact that I can narrow it down to that few should be counted as a heroic feat. There are literally thousands of different fragrances available. Want hay scented soap? Yep, there’s a fragrance for that. How about wasabi? Uh-huh. Or bacon? Just check out this post here.
But the one I’m having a hard time resisting right now: Coconut Lime.
I haven’t bought it, yet. I already had way too much in my cart the last time to justify adding something else. But there will be a coconut lime soap in the Etsy shop (gratuitous link to the shop here) sometime in the future. Look for it!
Which brings me to these cupcakes. Considering that I just placed an order for soap supplies Friday, I think you know exactly what was on my mind. And it wasn’t carrot cake (by the way, there’s a fragrance for that, too).
Enter ginger coconut lime cupcakes.
Which are amazingly delicious with just a hint of tartness.
And of course, ea-zzy to make!
Top with a little toasted coconut and a lime, and you have some tasty treats.
And a lime, and you have some tasty treats.
Or even better, forget the lime and instead place a couple of small candy eggs on top and you’ve got bird’s nest cupcakes. Perfect for Easter!
Ginger Coconut Lime Cupcakes
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Zest from one lime
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- Coconut 7 minute Frosting Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 Tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 egg whites
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coconut extract
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Line a muffin pan with cupcake liners, and then give each liner a little spritz of baking spray to prevent the cupcakes from sticking as bad.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and ginger). Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Then, mix in the yogurt, milk, lime juice, vanilla, and zest.
- Add the dry ingredients to the mixture, mixing until combined.
- Fill each cupcake liner just a little over half full.
- Bake for about 10 to 15 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Remove from the pan and allow to cool completely.
- Coconut 7 Minute Frosting: In a large heat safe mixing bowl, combine the sugar, corn syrup, salt, water, and egg whites, and mix well (for about a minute).
- Then, place the bowl on top of a saucepan of simmering water (making sure the bottom of the bowl doesn't touch the water) beating constantly with an electric mixer until the frosting forms peaks when the beaters are lifted out.
- Remove the bowl from the heat and mix in the coconut extract. Allow the frosting to cool before using.