I found this cute and inexpensive idea for packaging soaps a while back, and just had to try it out on our Reindeer Poo soap.
Reindeer Poo, by the way, is one of my new favorite soaps right now. The scent is described as having top notes of apples and pears, middle notes of eucalyptus, pine, and geranium, and base notes of vanilla, cedarwood, and patchouli. Even better I love how the design turned out:
It was colored white using titanium dioxide (although after being cut the bars darkened to a creamy color due to the vanilla content in the fragrance) with a thin pencil line of chromium oxide green colorant in the middle and topped with cosmetic grade glitter and red jojoba beads. And if you look closely there’s a faint Christmas tree that I stamped onto each bar.
Anyways, on to the reindeer packaging that’s simply perfect for wrapping bars of soap. One of the best things about these cute little reindeer is that they were so inexpensive to make. The supplies you need are:
Bath Cloths (I bought a package of 18 for $4 at Walmart)
Pipe Cleaners ($.77 for a package of 25)
Pom Pom balls ($1.97 for a package of 100)
Wiggly Eyes ($.97 for a package of 25)*
Rubber bands ($1 for a bag at Dollar General)
Jingle Bells, optional
Hot Glue Gun
* Unfortunately, the wiggly eyes either weren’t put into my bag when I checked out or they fell out some time afterwards because I couldn’t find them when I started working on the reindeer last night. Even worse, not a single store in our little town stocks them. Luckily, my mom came up with an alternative that still worked well:
Round Silver Confetti ($1 for a package of 100)
1) Position the bath cloth flat in front of you so that it’s in a diamond shape. Place the bar of soap in the middle.
2) Take the corner closest to you and fold it over to meet the back corner.
3) Bring the two side corners up until they meet in the middle, then secure with a rubber band. Make sure the rubber band is secured tightly
4) Now, take a pipe cleaner and bend it in half to form a ‘V’. Insert the V shaped pipe cleaner into the middle of the rubber band that’s around the bath cloth.
5) Take a second pipe cleaner and cut it in half. Take one of the halves and secure it to one side of the V shaped pipe cleaner by twisting it around it. Do the same with the other half. Then shape the pipe cleaners to look like antlers.
6) Glue a red pom pom on for the nose and wiggly eyes for the eyes. You can also add a ribbon to hide the rubber band and miniature bells on the antlers for an added festive touch.